Cemetery and Funeral Benefits for Military Veterans
If you’ve suffered the loss of a loved one, it’s likely that you are overwhelmed. However, you don’t have to grieve alone; there are many ways that your funeral home can assist you during this time. There are also unique benefits for military veterans who have passed. Here is a brief overview of benefits and services available to you if your recently deceased loved one was a veteran:
A burial allowance is a partial reimbursement of a veteran’s cremation or burial and funeral costs. The amounts given will vary, depending if the death was service-related:
· Active-Duty Deaths: All costs will be covered by the military.
· Service-Related Deaths: Veterans’ Affairs (VA) will pay up to $2,000 toward burial and funeral costs.
· Non-Service Related Deaths: V.A. will pay up to $300 for burial and funeral allowances and up to $300 for plot interment (up to $600 total). Under the Veterans’ Benefit Act of 2010, any deaths that occur after Oct. 1, 2011 will receive up to $700 for burial allowances and up to $700 for plot interment.
· Eligibility: The veteran cannot have been dishonorably discharged. There is no time limit for filing under service-related deaths. Non-service related deaths should be filed for reimbursement within two years.
· Burial in a national veteran cemetery may be granted. Spouses are also granted the right to be buried in these cemeteries, though space cannot be reserved ahead of time, and plots next to the deceased spouse are not guaranteed.
· Perpetual care for the grave, a government headstone or marker, burial flag, and a Presidential Memorial Certificate are given to the family at no cost.
· A Military Honors Funeral service is available for veterans upon the family’s request. This includes the folding of the burial flag and the playing of Taps.
If you have lost a loved one who was a military veteran, Chapel of the Chimes in Oakland can help with your funeral preparation, burial, or cremation needs. We offer a variety of veteran’s services for the deceased. To learn more, call us today at (510) 654-0123.